Promoting inclusive and diverse workplaces
We know an inclusive culture that embraces diverse qualities, backgrounds and perspectives leads to more innovative thinking, better decision-making and competitive business performance.
Cultivating diverse and talented teams that have respectful and inclusive cultures across our portfolio companies is fundamental to how we do business.
Embedding I&D considerations in our portfolio companies
We actively encourage and supporting our portfolio companies to build inclusive and diverse workplaces. is central to our ownership philosophy.
Driving gender equity
We support portfolio companies to create long-term I&D plans for infrastructure assets that are regionally and culturally relevant.
Inclusion and diversity in action
These case study snippets aim to show our active asset management strategy in action.
Across the boards of the portfolio companies in our Global and Australian infrastructure portfolios, we have helped to drive a positive change in female representation from 19% in 2017 to 28% in 2022.
This has largely been driven by IFM increasing female representation of its asset board nominees from 18% to 28% in the same period.
Common themes across our I&D approach to our portfolio companies include:
- Establishing and aligning data metrics and collection approaches,
- Expanding the scope of our I&D focus beyond gender,
- Recognising differences in I&D cultures across the global regions we invest in, and
- Working to expand our I&D approach to positively impact suppliers, communities and customers.
Our investee companies are responding in multiple ways to promote I&D considerations:
- In 2021 Anglian Water changed its leave policy to allow employees to swap Christian bank holidays with the dates that reflect their own religion.
- Ausgrid has implemented gender targets to help include more women at all levels of the organisation.
- NSW Ports, in conjunction with New South Wales Ministry of Health, launched an initiative to vaccinate approximately 1,500 crew members of 85 ships against COVID-19 in the 12 months to June 2022.